[Euro][slideshow]

Aftermath of battle with cancer: Ikeme says he's happy to be alive

Carl Ikeme, former professional footballer who played as a goalkeeper - Getty 
After his successful battle against cancer, former Super Eagles goalkeeper Carl Ikeme says he's happy to be alive.


In July 2017, Ikeme, who spent his entire career at Wolverhampton Wanderers, was diagnosed with acute leukaemia, however, is now in total remission, an action which resulted to his retirement from football early.

In a documentary aired on Wolves TV, the Nigeria international goalkeeper revealed, “I kept asking myself why me, I am not a bad person.”

“I was worried my daughter will be growing up without me.

His playing days - Ikeme in action for Wolverhampton Wanderers  - Getty

“I am happy to be alive, just happy I could go home. I’m just happy to breathe fresh air, just a relief to me.

“I am truly grateful for every day.”

“Now I’m looking forward to my kids’ future.”

Carl Ikeme is currently a TV pundit.

The Nigerian Football Federation (NFF) offered him the Super Eagles coaching role in assistant capacity, however, he is yet to accept the offer.

No comments:

FEATURED

La Liga: Valencia leave pitch in protest against racism

During Sunday's 2-1 loss at Cadiz, Valencia walked off the pitch following an alleged racist comment, before later returning to finish t...

Euro

[Euro][stack]

Afro

[Afro][grids]

International

[International][btop]