[Euro][slideshow]

How David Moyes convinced me to sign for Everton - Yobo

Joseph Michael Yobo. Nigerian former professional footballer, played as a central defender. Yobo was captain of the Nigeria Senior National Team until he retired from international football in June 2014. He has been capped 101 times, represented the Super Eagles at three FIFA World Cups and six Africa Cup Of Nations (AFCON) tournaments. Photo: Getty

Super Eagles assistant coach and former Everton defender Joseph Yobo has opened up on how he joined the Toffees, insisting his performance in a friendly game against the Republic Of Ireland in 2002 convinced former manager David Moyes to lure him to Goodison Park.


The former Nigeria youth international linked up with Everton from Olympique de Marseille in July 2002 for around £5m.

Speaking in an Instagram live chat with the Super Eagles Media Team, the AFCON 2013 winner and the country's most capped player said Moyes persuaded him to sign for Everton after watching him play in a pre-world cup game against Ireland in 2002.

"We played against Ireland in a friendly game preparing for the 2002 World Cup and David Moyes watched me.

Yobo tackles Chelsea Ivorian striker Didier Drogba. Photo: Getty

"That game I played in the midfield with Jay Jay (Austin Okocha), so we were in the middle and we played against Roy Keane, the former Manchester United captain and I was able to make a statement in that game.

"After that game, David Moyes spoke to me that he wanted me to come to Everton and I made him understand that I wanted to go to the World Cup first, because even at the World Cup, there was something going on with Juventus, a rumour that I was going to Juventus.

"Basically, he wanted to make me one of the best defenders in the world, those were his words. He bought me lunch and sold the club entirely to me."

"So, we spoke with my agent and I decided to move to Everton, but they couldn't reach a deal that's why it was a loan," added Yobo.
Brila.net

No comments:

FEATURED

La Liga: Valencia leave pitch in protest against racism

During Sunday's 2-1 loss at Cadiz, Valencia walked off the pitch following an alleged racist comment, before later returning to finish t...

Euro

[Euro][stack]

Afro

[Afro][grids]

International

[International][btop]