[Euro][slideshow]

BRI 2 - 1 ARS: Neal Maupay apologizes after Bernd Leno injury

Bernd Leno of Arsenal goes down injured as Neal Maupay of Brighton and Hove Albion reacts. Photo: Gareth Fuller/Pool via Getty Images

Brighton forward Neal Maupay apologised for his role in Bernd Leno's injury but claimed some of Arsenal's players "need to learn humility" after he grabbed a last-gasp winner at the Amex Stadium.


Arsenal boss Mikel Arteta said the true extent of the Germany international's injury would not be known until at least Sunday.

Maupay expressed remorse for the incident, although he was angered by the behaviour of unnamed members of the opposition.

"At half-time, I went to Arteta to apologise because I never meant to injure their keeper," Maupay told BT Sport 1.

"I just jumped to get the ball maybe and I think he twisted his knee, I never meant to hurt him.

"I am really sorry. I apologise again and I wish him a speedy recovery."

Bernd Leno of Arsenal receives medical treatment. Photo: Gareth Fuller/Pool via Getty Images

He added: "Arsenal players need to learn humility, maybe sometimes.

"They have been talking a lot first half, second half when they were 1-0 up. They got what they deserved."

Arsenal boss Arteta and Brighton manager Graham Potter agreed that Maupay had not meant to hurt Leno.

"I believe that no player has the intention to hurt anybody and I believe in this case exactly the same. It was unfortunate," Arteta said at his post-match press conference.

"It's a knee injury – a hyperextension of the knee – and we have to assess the damage."

No comments:

FEATURED

La Liga: Valencia leave pitch in protest against racism

During Sunday's 2-1 loss at Cadiz, Valencia walked off the pitch following an alleged racist comment, before later returning to finish t...

Euro

[Euro][stack]

Afro

[Afro][grids]

International

[International][btop]