[Euro][slideshow]

Barcelona v Man Utd: 'I've seen my Treble goal a million times' - Solskjaer on Nou Camp return

Back in the day: Ole Gunnar Solskjaer celebrates after scoring for Manchester United - Getty

It's the goal that defines Ole Gunnar Solskjaer's career.

He made 366 appearances for Manchester United. He scored 126 goals. He is now the manager, given a three-year contract after
an impressive three-month period as caretaker.

But think of the Norwegian and one image comes to mind: his 1999 Champions League final-winning goal in the Nou Camp for United against Bayern Munich to complete a historic Treble. "And Solskjaer has won it," goes the commentary.

Now, 20 years on, Solskjaer's side take on Barcelona on Tuesday, 1-0 down after the first leg of their Champions League quarter-final but hoping for a similar, iconic comeback.

"That goal has been mentioned a few times, yes," the 46-year-old told BBC Sport.

"So many people have congratulated me and talked to me about that night. They say 'it was the best night of my life but don't tell my wife' - that kind of thing.

"Funnily enough, I have never seen the full game. I did watch the 15 minutes that I actually played once. Of course, the goal I have probably seen a million times. I don't mind being remembered for something like that."

Solskjaer has only been back to the Nou Camp twice since 1999. He went with his youngest son, Elijah, as a paying fan to watch an El Clasico against Real Madrid, while the second visit was a spying mission to see Barcelona's 2-0 defeat of Atletico Madrid on 6 April.

However, he does not expect to be distracted by nostalgia on Tuesday.

"I don't think so. I will be so focused," he said. "I will be so concentrated.

"I will have my last little gut feeling on who to play - sometimes you do get those hunches. Against Paris St-Germain I had a team in mind when I travelled in the morning, walked out into the stadium, saw the stadium and thought: 'No, I will change.'

"I can't wait."...BBCSport

No comments:

FEATURED

La Liga: Valencia leave pitch in protest against racism

During Sunday's 2-1 loss at Cadiz, Valencia walked off the pitch following an alleged racist comment, before later returning to finish t...

Euro

[Euro][stack]

Afro

[Afro][grids]

International

[International][btop]