[Euro][slideshow]

I 'regret' not being part of the AFCON winning squad in South Africa - Odemwingie

Former Nigerian Professional.Footballer, Peter Osaze Odemwingie, played as forward and winger

Former Super Eagles of Nigeria striker, Peter Osaze Odemwingie, has confessed that, not being part of Nigeria's Africa Cup Of Nations winning squad in 2013 is his big
regret as he officially said goodbye to football.

The 37-year-old has not played professionally since 2017 but had been hopeful of continuing his career.

Odemwingie missed out in the Super Eagles squad that clinched the AFCON trophy in South Africa in 2013, however, he helped the team finish third at the tournament in 2004, 2006 and 2010.

He disclosed to BBC Sport: “I think not being part of the Nations Cup-winning squad when I was at my peak is a big regret.”

“I did everything I could to be a part of that squad but it never happened, but I had an amazing time with my country.

“There were few mistakes but you learn as you grow and now I am in a good position to advice other young players.”

He produced 36 goals in 129 Premier League appearances between 2010 and 2016 in the colours of West Brom and Stoke City.

He further said: “Scoring a brace for Nigeria against South Africa at my Nations Cup debut in 2004 is also unforgettable.

“Right now I have a role as Fifa’s ambassador for the Women’s World Cup in France then I can focus on my coaching badges. Football has been good to me and I’m grateful."

No comments:

FEATURED

La Liga: Valencia leave pitch in protest against racism

During Sunday's 2-1 loss at Cadiz, Valencia walked off the pitch following an alleged racist comment, before later returning to finish t...

Euro

[Euro][stack]

Afro

[Afro][grids]

International

[International][btop]