[Euro][slideshow]

"What did I do wrong?, injuries are holding me back" - Douglas Costa

Juventus Brazilian professional winger Douglas Costa. Known for his dribbling skills and speed. On 12 July 2017, Costa joined Juventus on loan for €6million until the end of the 2017-18 season. Juventus made Costa's loan move permanent on 7 June 2018, signing the winger to a four-year deal for a €40million plus bonuses. Photo: Getty

Juventus winger Douglas Costa has confessed that he has thought about retiring from football because of his injury problems.


Costa has played just 90 times in three seasons for Juve due to various muscular issues, and the 29-year-old admits they have affected his confidence.

“There are times when I think: ‘Can I still play?’” he told The Players’ Tribune.

“[That’s] because I go out on the pitch and get injured again. Then, when I watch it on TV, I remember this is my passion and that I can still play at a high level.

“This is what keeps me alive, I know football comes easy to me. It has nothing to do with money or being famous.

From Right: Douglas Costa arrives at the Allianz Arena with teammates for a top flight match. With him are Argentine striker Gonzalo Higuain and Bosnian midfielder Miralem Pjanic. Photo: Getty

“People say ‘Douglas has the potential to be one of the best in the world, but injuries are holding him back.’ That annoys me.

“I have the potential to be a top player, but for reasons out of my control I can’t be.

“Every time I get injured, I ask myself: ‘What did I do wrong?’ I wonder why I can’t play consistently. It’s something that hurts me.

“Therefore, I asked for help. I don’t know if you’ve heard of a mental coach. They’re not a psychologist, but they show you how childhood facts can still affect you.”
Football-Italia

No comments:

FEATURED

La Liga: Valencia leave pitch in protest against racism

During Sunday's 2-1 loss at Cadiz, Valencia walked off the pitch following an alleged racist comment, before later returning to finish t...

Euro

[Euro][stack]

Afro

[Afro][grids]

International

[International][btop]