[Euro][slideshow]

Didn't "play more" - Sodje on his biggest Super Eagles regret

Okeremute Samuel Sodje. Former professional footballer, played as a central defender. Sodje was born in England to Nigerian parents. At international level, he played for the Super Eagles of Nigeria. He featured for several English clubs including West Bromwich Albion and Leeds United. Photo: Getty

Sodje made his international debut in a 3 - 0 friendly defeat to Romania in Bucharest, playing the full 90 minutes.

He also played 90 minutes in Nigeria's
friendlies against the Republic of Ireland and France in 2009.

Sodje made his competitive debut for the Super Eagles in 2009, starting in a 3 - 0 CAF Third round 2010 FIFA World Cup qualifying win over Kenya.

However, reoccurring knee injury stopped him from making further appearances for the Eagles.

"I was unlucky not to play more, because I was always injured and I couldn't come for a lot of games, but the few time that I played, I think I really did well, but the only regret I had is that Nigerian fans didn't watch me play much longer, because ability wise, I should have played more," Sodje told Footballlive.

Defender Sodje tackles France striker Nicolas Anelka - Getty

He added that despite his struggles with injuries, he's happy to fulfill his childhood dream of playing for Nigeria.

"My dream was to play a game for Nigeria and I was lucky to play more and I'm proud of that."

Sodje spent almost his entire career playing in his country of birth, England. He played for Stevenage Borough, Reading, West Bromwich Albion, Watford and Leeds United.
Footballlive

No comments:

FEATURED

La Liga: Valencia leave pitch in protest against racism

During Sunday's 2-1 loss at Cadiz, Valencia walked off the pitch following an alleged racist comment, before later returning to finish t...

Euro

[Euro][stack]

Afro

[Afro][grids]

International

[International][btop]