[Euro][slideshow]

Racism In Football: 'If you walk off they win' - Sterling says about racist abuse

England forward Raheem Sterling responded by putting his hands to his ears after suffering racist abuse from the stands in their Euro 2020 qualifier against Montenegro, England hammered Montenegro 5 -1 - Getty

Raheem Sterling, England winger, says players should not leave the pitch if they are abused racially from the stand, "if you walk off they win".


24-year old Sterling was one of several England players to have racist chants directed at them during last month's Euro 2020 qualifier in Montenegro.

The winger responded by putting his hands to his ears after scoring in the 5-1 win.

The Manchester City forward said: "I wouldn't personally agree with walking off."

"To win the game would hurt them even more. They're only trying to get you down.

"If you walk off they win. To score or win would be better."

Sterling was called a "trailblazer" in being named sportsman of the year at the 2019 British Ethnic Diversity Sports Awards on Saturday in recognition of repeatedly speaking out against racism in football.

However, he said: "I don't think I can make a difference - it's something that happened before I was born and before my parents were born.

"As much as I can do is raise awareness."

Sterling, who has won 53 caps for England, acknowledged the guidance of his mother in standing up to racist abuse.

"When I hear it, I'm black, I'm proud and I'm confident about my body," he said.

"My mum has always told me to be proud of myself and told me I'm a wonderful black child.

"I've never really heard it in London. It was mainly when I went up north to Liverpool. I started to hear it a few times."

City face Tottenham in the Champions League quarter-final first leg on Tuesday.

No comments:

FEATURED

La Liga: Valencia leave pitch in protest against racism

During Sunday's 2-1 loss at Cadiz, Valencia walked off the pitch following an alleged racist comment, before later returning to finish t...

Euro

[Euro][stack]

Afro

[Afro][grids]

International

[International][btop]